There are NOT any spoilers in this book review! You can read the post entirely!
As an Amazon Associate, I do earn commission through qualifying purchases. #CommissionEarned
The Santa Suit by Mary Kay Andrews
Book Length: 207 Pages
When newly-divorced Ivy Perkins buys an old farmhouse sight unseen, she is definitely looking for a change in her life. The Four Roses, as the farmhouse is called, is a labor of love- but Ivy didn’t bargain on just how much labor. The previous family left so much furniture and so much junk, that it’s a full-time job sorting through all of it.
At the top of the closet, Ivy finds an old Santa suit- beautifully made and decades old. In the pocket of a suit she finds a note written in a childish hand: it’s from a little girl who has one Christmas wish, and that is for her father to return home from the war. This discovery sets Ivy off on a mission. Who wrote the note? Did the man ever come home? What mysteries did the Rose family hold?
Ivy’s quest brings her into the community, at a time when all she wanted to do was be left alone and nurse her wounds. But the magic of Christmas makes miracles happen, and Ivy just might find more than she ever thought possible: a welcoming town, a family reunited, a mystery solved, and a second chance at love.
If you read my previous blog post, The Top 6 Christmas Books I WANT to Read, you would know that I said this book was SHORT.
Although I was wrong about it being only 100 pages, it was still very short and a good quick read!
This is such a good read for SO MANY reasons:
- It’s short which makes a good read before you go to bed at night. (I finished within three days just by reading before bed)
- We LOVE a boss lady! The main character, Ivy, is divorced and such a strong, independent woman! It was a fun read to see how dedicated she was to fixing up the old farmhouse. She almost reminded me of myself with her love for her pets and making sure they were taken care of (well, and talking to them 24/7).
- I never expected how the story would play out! I mean, I thought I knew, but I didn’t really know. If you have read my posts before, then you know I cannot stand knowing how the story will play out before I even read it (anxiety alert). With this one, you sort of have an idea, but the ending will surprise you and make you smile!
- Ivy is very kind hearted! Not only does she love her animals, she is nice to EVERYONE in her new town! The story replicates such a small town and how everyone really does know everybody. She becomes friends with anyone and everyone she crosses: the old man, her Realtor, the worker she eventually helps out, and her closest friend that has a strange relationship!
- Who doesn’t love such a sweet guy? I won’t give anything away since there are different relationships in this book, but one in particular I think is so sweet!
- The Holiday vibes are IMMACULATE. Everything about this story had me in the Christmas spirit and excited for the Holiday! The snow, decorations, and festive activities around the town made me feel so cozy!
- Christmas Bulletin Boards
- Gifts for the Disney Lover- Small Biz Edition
- Gift Ideas for the Teacher
- Stocking Stuffers for Kids
- Gifts for Her- Homebody Edition